Modern Money
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Modern Money

Learning the Modern Money system, macroeconomics, aka MMT

You are not connected. Please login or register

A KINDERGARTEN GUIDE TO MODERN MONEY by Frank Ashe

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Senexx

Admin

A KINDERGARTEN GUIDE TO MODERN MONEY by Frank Ashe

The following highly simplified account of fiat money and credit creation is my attempt to put one part of the economic theory, given the name of Modern Monetary Theory by its developers , into plain talk. I have deliberately tried to dumb down the language as much as possible to ensure that anything that may be wrong will be glaringly obvious – it is far too
easy to hide critical issues behind obfuscatory academic jargon.

One important point that flows from this analysis is a recognition that most of the current discussion on the topic of money, credit, and the government sector finances has a language that comes from the gold standard era of money. Most economies have been in a fiat money system since the mid 1970s – it’s time to move the discussion onto the proper footing.

This area of the theory of money is contentious, as all monetary theory seems to be. My particular interest in this particular theory is due to the very simple nature of its assumptions and the clarity of its logic – essentially looking at the consequences of a stock/flow consistent analysis of money and credit.

As part of this, I’ve noticed it is easy to become confused between the boundary line demarcating (i) and (ii) and the boundary line demarcating (ii) and (iii) where:

(i) what is easily accomplished using the current economic institutions, widely interpreted as: laws on budgetary outcomes; notional independence of central banks; presentation and discussion of government finances; imagined reactions of
bond markets etc i.e. the self-imposed constraints under which a government manages the economy;
(ii) what is actually happening under a fiat money system;
(iii) what is not allowed under a fiat money system.

In discussion with various people I have found this confusion to be very difficult to overcome. The self-imposed constraints have so muddied the stream of discourse that it is difficult to see what is happening beneath the surface.

The following classroom discussion looks at the basic flows of a fiat money system

PDF - https://actuaries.asn.au/Library/FSF10_Paper_Frank%20Ashe.pdf

https://modernmoney.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum